Slip-and-fall injuries due to icy conditions are a common occurrence during Wisconsin winter months. To prevent injury, consider the following tips from HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital and its partner, Prevea Health.
- Walk like a penguin.Waddle and keep your center of gravity over your front leg. Raise your arms slightly for balance, keep your hands out of your pockets and your feet pointed slightly apart.
- Wear shoes or boots with traction.
- Be careful when entering or exiting a vehicle.
- Assume that all surfaces are slippery.
- Stay on designated pathways.
- Apply salt or sand to slippery surfaces, but keep in mind that salt will only melt if the temperature is 20 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer.
Snow can also be a safety hazard this time of year. For tips on safe snow removal, click here.