12 tips to stay safe this summer
Though fireworks can be exciting, festive and fun – they can also be very dangerous. HSHS St. Clare Memorial Hospital and Prevea Health recommend the following tips and reminders to ensure a safe experience:
- Children should never play with fireworks. Firecrackers, rockets, and sparklers can be extremely dangerous if not used properly. If you give sparklers to kids, make sure they keep them outside and away from their faces, clothing and hair.
- Store properly and buy legally. Only buy legal fireworks and store them in a cool, dry place.
- Don’t DIY. Never try to make your own fireworks.
- Be prepared. Always use fireworks outside and have a bucket of water and hose nearby.
- Keep a distance. Steer clear of others and never throw or point fireworks at someone.
- Take precautions. Don’t hold fireworks in your hand or have any part of your body over them while lighting. Wear some sort of eye protection, and avoid carrying fireworks in your pocket.
- Know your surroundings. Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from brushes, leaves and other flammable substances.
- Quality, not quantity. Light one firework at a time and never relight a dud.
- Fireworks stay hot. Don’t allow kids to pick up pieces of fireworks after an event as they may still be hot.
- Make sure the fire is out. Soak all fireworks in a bucket of water before throwing them in the trash can.
- Know the law. Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
- Better yet, leave fireworks to the experts. This is the recommended course of action by the National Safety Council.
If an adult or child is injured by fireworks, immediately call your doctor or go to the hospital. If an eye injury occurs, don’t allow your child to touch or rub it, as this may cause more damage. If it’s a burn, remove clothing from the burned area and run cool, not cold, water over the burn and then call your doctor immediately.